Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Rolling Stones Magazine

 The last time I had really read through a magazine was in elementary school. My mother ordered me "Highlights," a children's magazine that aims to educate children while making it entertaining. (I don't remember reading articles, I only remember using it for the "Hidden Pictures" section.)  But one of the assignments for my college English course was to pick out a magazine to follow throughout the semester. The class was instructed to analyze the magazine of our choice throughout the course. I chose to follow "Rolling Stone" magazine, a publication that discusses current events including music, movies, television, and politics. I am semi-interested in those types of things so I figured this would be a choice I could live with. The cover price (price issues sell for at bookstores) is $4.99 so I decided to go ahead and buy a subscription--26 issues for $19.99. Since the magazine is issued bi-weekly I figured I'd save some money, and if I ended up enjoying them I would have something to do every other week for a year. 

The first issue (September 2, 2010) had an eye catching cover. It showed the cast of "True Blood," a television show that features vampires and their sex/relationship lives, naked and covered in blood holding on to each other. The main article takes around 30-45 minutes to read, and other side articles take anywhere from a few minutes to ten minutes to read. About a quarter of the pages are advertisements, ranging from chewing gum, fast food, and alcohol, to cell phones and gasoline. From the looks of things the magazine would appeal to both men and women, probably ages 20-45, however I'm sure this "True Blood" edition would appeal to any True Blood fan. And those fans are probably the people who pay the cover price of $5 at a local bookseller. So, what I'm gathering is that the magazine's main audience would be your young adults-middle aged individuals, but there will always be those uninterested in the magazine as a whole, but will still buy it if the cover story is appealing to them. 

The articles in this edition really focus on, not gossip necessarily, but just irrelevant information about the lives of stars. The people who enjoy this magazine are the ones that pay a lot of attention to television, music, and movies.I guess I can understand why these fans would be interested in the personal lives of the actors and musicians, however, because I can put myself in a similar situation.

I've always been a huge Tiger Woods fan. I've been a golfer from an early ago and my Father has had some rare Tiger Woods memorabilia (hundreds of pairs of unused tickets from when he won his first US Amateur title) that sell for a couple hundred bucks a piece on eBay every time he wins a major tournament. So, from an early age I knew that if Tiger won Dad made money, and now when he wins Dad usually gives me a few pairs of tickets to sell. So now its a personal thing--if Tiger wins I win. (about $500) To get to the point, I was always a big fan. He was so good with the press and seemed like such a family man. He had a lot of the things I want; a family, a lot of money, and a good golf game. I really looked up to him. 

When the news emerged about his infidelity it really upset me and I was extremely interested in what had happened, especially what the truth was. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though my life isn't affected at all by his actions (except for the fact that the value of those tickets depreciating) I'm still interested because I have a impersonal connection and interest in the happenings of his life. And I can easily understand why people would enjoy reading this magazine - because they have an impersonal attachment to the people that are interviewed and written about in Rolling Stone.

Summary:

Rolling Stone targets people who spend a good deal of time listening to music, and watching movies/television. These people who truly are passionate about these things will naturally have favorite actors and singers, and that is who the Rolling Stone aims to talks about. ((There is a hint of politics found within the September 2nd issue (and I'm it's included within many if not all of the issues), however if someone was wanting to read about politics there would be better magazine choices.--the politics are presented in such a way that it ties in with pop culture )) To sum up what I've gathered, Rolling Stone aims to provide their audience with exclusive articles/interviews/stories about the stars that people have impersonal "relationships" with, and in doing so fulfill a need inside those people.


No comments:

Post a Comment